Thank you for motivating me and appreciating me on my new venture. On the start of my journey of blogging I would like to share with you my friends one of my husband’s favorite– “Pav Bhaji”. Goes without saying my husband also inspires me to make different dishes he has eaten in college days and travelling here and there in India. One such recipe which is all time favorite in my house is Pav bhaji – quick easy to make and yummy…!!! Today I would like to share with you a different style of pav bhaji called as Khada(Long/Straight) Bhaji very famous Mumbai street food. Khada Pav Bhaji means the vegetable are not mashed.
Well, I didnot knew how to make when I decided to make to Khada Pav Bhaji. I found this recipe online at http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/khada-pav-bhaji-recipe-mumbai-khada-pav-bhaji/.
Variation I did: This recipe tastes yummy with less ginger.
Recipe is for 2-3 servings:
Preparation Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Ingredients for the Kada or Khada Pav Bhaji:
- 1/2 cauliflower, florets removed
- 2-3 small carrots, cubed or cut long
- 1/2 cup french beans, chopped (Optional)
- 2 potatoes, cubed or cut long
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized capsicum
- 1 inch ginger ( Optional – half for making the ginger-garlic paste and half to be chopped)
- 5-6 medium sized garlic flakes
- 1/2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- a few sprigs of coriander leaves for garnish
- chopped lemon for garnish
- butter or oil
Method to make Kada Pav Bhaji:
- First take the chopped veggies (Long or cubed), mainly: cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, peas and beans (Optional) and wash these thoroughly in running water for a good 3-4 times.
- Pressure cook or boil the veggies till they are done. Do not over cook the veggies. Maximum 3 whistles. Strain the veggies and keep the broth.
- In the meantime, when the vegetables are cooking, chop the onions, green chillies, ginger, tomatoes and capsicum.
- In a kadai heat up around 2 tbsp oil or butter. Add the onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ginger – garlic (crushed or paste), green chillies and capsicum. Saute for 7-8 minutes stirring in between.
- Now add the red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix the masalas and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- If you decide to add More Ginger & garlic you can add now.
- Add some 1-2 tbsp butter to the bhaji.
- Add the boiled vegetables.
- Add the pav bhaji masala.
- Add about 1 or 1.5 cups of broth or water or both broth+water. Gently mix the entire mixture.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes on a low flame. Keep checking the bhaji in between.
- Now, add the garam masala powder and gently mix it with the rest of the bhaji.
- Lastly, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Your kada pav bhaji is ready now.!!! Slice the Pavs and fry them on the tava or griddle with some butter. Serve the pav bhaji topped with butter with the warm pavs, chopped onion and chopped lemon.
- Enjoy the Yummy variation of pav bhaji.
Few points for Kada Pav Bhaji:
- The quantity of butter to be added to the pav bhaji is solely on your discretion.
- While mixing the vegetables in the bhaji, some of the boiled vegetables may get mashed while stirring. Thats ok. As the vegetables are boiled, some vegetables will get mashed.
- This recipe is not very spicy. I added more spices You could add more of red chili powder or pav bhaji masala to make it more spicy.
- If you do not have pav bhaji masala Happens sometimes..!!!! :-) ..! , just add 2 teaspoons of garam masala powder overall to the bhaji along with 1/2 tsp of amchur powder.