Hope everyone is having wonderful weekend and enjoying nice weather..!! Today I would like to share with you one of my favorite dish — Vermicelli upma.
Vermicelli Upma is a delicious and nutritious low cal breakfast item which can also be enjoyed as snack or packed lunch. First time I had this recipe at my brother’s house in Yonkers, NY, made by my bhabhi…!! 🙂 I just loved it…! Now I make it with few variations. 🙂 !!
Recipe serves 6 people.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 3 cups Vermicelli Seviya
- ½ finely chopped big onion
- 1 roughly chopped roma tomato
- ½ tbsp. red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ or 1 finely chopped green chili
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 3-4 leaves kadi patta
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup of choice of vegetables (Optional) (Green peas, chopped carrot, cut French beans, baby corn)
- Paneer or tofu (Optional)
- Corriander to Garnish
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Boil atleast 6 cups of water. Once water is boiling add ½ tsp of oil and pinch of salt. Add 3 cups of vermicelli. Let it cook to 2-3 minutes. Strain and run cold water. Let it drain.
- In kadhai heat oil, add mustard seed. Once mustard seed crackle add urad dal, kadi patta, finely chopped onions, green chilles and saute it for about 2 minutes or till onion are transparent. ( to make protein rich : you can also add finely chopped paneer or tofu at this step)
- Add chopped tomatoes,(Choice of cooked Vegetables) red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add cooked vermicelli seviya
- Add salt as per taste ( remember we added salt while cooking vermicelli and veggies)
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice, mix it .
- Garnish with coriander
- Serve hot.