Lauki, dudhi or bottle gourd holds pride of place in the Indian Ayurvedic medical system. Here is why our ancestors included it in their regular diet, and why it still makes sense to do so.
Dudhi/Luaki is 96.1% water, so is light on the stomach and aids digestion. Ideal if you are watching your weight.
Loved by some, and hated by many, the lowly lauki/ Dudhi really packs a punch. Besides having excellent nutritional benefits, it is a versatile vegetable that lends itself to a variety of recipes. If you or your family consider lauki boring or tasteless, a little imagination is all it takes to transform it into a delicious dish like what I am sharing with you today.
Another versatile yummy Lauki/Dudhi recipe is here to cool down your systems…!!! I would like share with you No Onion – No Garlic base gravy.
- ½ tbsp. jeera
- 1tbsp ginger – green chili chopped
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2- cloves
- 2 – whole black peper
- 1 to 2 tbsp – kaju and magastari seeds
- 1 big black elaichi
- 1-2tsp / as per taste -Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder – as per spice level
- 2 – Grated lauki
- 1-2 cups Tomato puree
- 2-3 Tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in pan. Once oil is hot, add jeera, ginger, green chili, cinnamon stick, cloves, dry red chilies, whole black pepper and big black cardamom
- Then add grated lauki.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, kasuri methi and salt
- Let it cook till Dudhi gets cooked.
- Let this cooked Dudhi mixture cool and then grind in smooth paste
- Now heat little oil in that same pan oil and add bay leaf and Dudhi paste.
- Add tomato puree.
- Little bit of salt, red chili powder and garam masala.
- Let it cook for about 5-10 minutes or desired consistancy.
- No onion no garlic gravy is ready…!!
- Add choice of vegetables , paneer or Kofta
- Serve the hot sabji with roti, naan or rice. !!! 🙂